Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Believing vs. Knowing

~
Not too long ago, some dear people observed that I say "I know" a lot.  I don't mean those times when someone is talking and I'm agreeing with them.  This is more in the realm of, "I know thus and such about God." Or, "I know this and that about myself and my family."  Or, "I know there are things going on in the spiritual realm of which I'm unaware." 

After that observation, I have realized how much I do say "I know...."  And it has shown me some things about myself.

Yesterday I read a quotation that stopped me in my tracks.  Okay, I was lying down, so I guess it really didn't stop any forward motion of my person, but it made me think.

"We act out what we believe.  Not what we know."  Vickie Arruda

Belief.  As opposed to knowledge.  I know a lot of things about God.  His Word is full of amazing descriptions of Him.  But do I believe them?  REALLY believe them?  And, more importantly, do my actions flow from that belief?

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."  Hebrews 11:6

I want to be pleasing to Him.  I want my actions to reveal that I truly believe Him as opposed to just knowing who He is.

So, I'm focusing on believing these 5 things:

1. God is Who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ.
5. God's Word is alive and active in me.

(Thank you, Beth Moore and your Believing God study.  Amazing. Every time!)

~

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard Nichole Nordemans "Help Me Believe"? I saw it in a piano book i have today and thought of this post.........

    I need this reminder often..... like everyday! :oP

    ReplyDelete